Isabeau D'Arbanville
To start with, I had to make a decision about whether I did an English style Country House or an American Style. I live in the UK so if the brief says the family is moving to your area, I suppose I should have done an English style property...However, English architecture is really boring, unless you have a few million to spend...and that wasn't in the brief :)

So I decided to look at American Country Style...and then asked my American Husband what his idea of country House Charm was. We looked at a few pictures and floor plans and finally I decided what I wanted to do...



EXTERIOR - FRONT
I was keen to make a house for the Leawater's that would be interesting and quaint - hopefully this hits the mark as far as "Charm" is concerned. I also wanted an open plan layout for the living area, as I think this is important for family living. And Mrs Leawater is a keen cook so I wanted to give her a kitchen where she would be able to spend the day or evening cooking, without being isolated from the family activities and, in this respect I think a dining area is a very important consideration for a family - it's often the only time a family sits down together and talks about the events of the day.

GROUND FLOOR PLAN








So here is the ground floor layout, with the open plan living, dining and kitchen areas and an adaptable guest suite that could be used as a study or library, if the family decided to do that.


1ST FLOOR PLAN

On the first floor are 3 further bedrooms, with 2 large bathrooms. I toyed with the idea of a master suite, but decided that, if this were my house, I'd rather have a larger bedroom, in preference to a smaller bedroom with an attached bathroom or shower room.

BASEMENT AND SUNKEN TERRACE

The most interesting (IMHO) feature of the property is the terrace and basement. I decided not to make a stairway from the main part of the house, as this would have swallowed up a lot of the space, and, since the family are only likely to use the basement for storage or as a den (I'm thinking somewhere the teens and their friends can go to hang out and listen to music) I felt it was unnecessary to have it accessible in this way.


BACK ELEVATION


I have left the landscaping for a future date (week 5, I believe) but the house is on a 40 x 40 plot set beside a river with woodland around, so I think there is plenty of scope for some shrubbery, ponds and pretty floral displays - especially on the top of the walled garden terrace, which will be perfect for barbeques and sunbathing.


Do keep watching the blog for updates on how the house progresses from this shell to a fully deocrated and furnished property.

:)
You can see from this view of the back elevation that the decking (off the livingroom) makes for a nice covered area, and behind that, are the doors to the basement.
2 Responses
  1. Very nicely done. Just what I had in mind. Good luck in the challenge. - EQ


  2. Asim Says:

    I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!
    Kitchen & Dining


Post a Comment